Assist. Prof. Dr. Fatih Kocabas
Department of Genetics and Bioengineering,
Professor of Regenerative Biology,
Faculty of Engineering, Yeditepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Office : +9 (0216) 578 0618
[Google Scholar Profile]
Fatih Kocabas is Assistant Professor at Yeditepe University, Department of Genetics and Bioengineering. He received his B.S. degree in Molecular Biology and Genetics from Orta Dogu Technical University and his Ph.D. in Genetics and Development from University of Texas Southwestern (UTSW) Medical Center at Dallas. He worked in the laboratory of Ron Vale (UCSF), Susan Fisher (UCSF), Hesham Sadek, Alec Zhang, and Eric Olson (UTSW Medical Center, Dallas). In addition, he performed fellowship at California Institute of Technology and got training on hESCs and hiPSCs at Stanford University. He has received a number of awards including GSO Travel Award (UTSW, 2012), New Investigator Travel Award from American Heart Association (2012), Experienced Researcher Scholarship (The Marie Curie Action 7th. Framework Programme (FP7) & TÜBİTAK, 2015), MC-IF Over Threshold Award (TÜBİTAK, 2015), The Science Academy Young Scientist Award (BAGEP-2015), and MEMBS Congress Oral Presentation Award (Istanbul, 2015). He has published more than 40 scientific publications (journal articles, book chapters and conference articles). He developed a metabolic approach to isolate stem cells from bone marrow and heart, which lead him to discover unique metabolic profile of mouse hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) (published in Cell Stem Cells), human HSCs (published in Cell & bioscince), glycolytic cardiac progenitors (GCPs) (published in JCTR) and their respective cardiac hypoxic niche. In addition, his studies using novel mouse heart regeneration model lead to discovery of Meis1 that regulates the heart’s ability to regenerate after injuries (published in Nature). His current research interests include elucidating the molecular mechanisms of regenerative ability of neonatal mice myocardium, small molecule induced reactivation of cardiomyocyte cell cycle, identification of metabolically distinct tissue and cancer specific stem cells, and in vivo and ex vivo small molecule induced stem cell expansion. He is directing projects funded by The Marie Curie Action 7th. Framework Programme cofounded by TÜBİTAK, The International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), TÜBİTAK 1001, and BAGEP-2015. He is also researcher in one TÜBİTAK 1003 project. He is in the editorial board of nine peer-reviewed journals and the organizing committee of one international congress (2nd Int. Congress on Stem Cell and Cellular Therapies, Antalya).
PhD, Genetics and Development, University of Texas Southwestern (UTSW) Medical Center at Dallas
BS, Molecular Biology and Genetics, Orta Doğu Technical University, Türkiye
2014-Present Yeditepe University, Department of Genetics and Bioengineering, Assistant Professor
2012-2014 Biomedical Research Institute and Department of Education, NAU, Houston, Tx, Senior Researcher and Assistant Professor
2007-2012 UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, TX, Research Assistant
2006-2007 University of California, San Francisco, CA, Junior Researcher
2005 California Institute of Technology, CA, Research Intern
2017-Best Poster Award. R. Dilek Turan, Fatih Kocabas. X. National Blood Centers and Transfusion Medicine Congress
2016-Young Researcher Awards - Esra Albayrak, Merve Uslu, Raife Dilek Turan, 42nd Hematology Congress at Antalya
2016 Poster Award. Pinar Siyah, Fatih Kocabas. BAU 4th International Drug Design Congress, İstanbul
2015-Poster Award. Raife Dilek Turan, Fatih Kocabas. 2nd International Congress of Stem Cell and Cellular Therapies
2015-MEMBS 2015- Fatih Kocabas Oral Presentation Award
2015-Science Academy Young Scientist Award (BAGEP-2015), Fatih Kocabas
2015-MC-IF Eşik Üstü Award (TÜBİTAK), Fatih Kocabas
2015-Experienced Researcher Fellowship (Co-fund circulation sheme). Fatih Kocabas
2012-New Investigator Travel Award, BCVS 2012, American Heart Association. Fatih Kocabas
2012-GSO Travel Award, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. Fatih Kocabas
2005-Summer Undergrad Research Fellowship, California Institute of Technology . Fatih Kocabas
2015-Present Stem Cell and Translational Investigation
2015-Present Journal of Syndromes and Gene Repair
2014-Present Health Sciences Research (Editorial Board)
2014-Present International Journal of Biophysics and Biochemistry (Editorial Board)
2014-Present International Journal of Biological Sciences and Applications (Editorial Board)
2014-Present Turkish Society of Hematology (Professional Member)
2014-Present European Society of Cardiology (ESC) (Professional Member)
2014-Present International Journal of Stem cell Research & Therapy (Editorial Board)
2014-Present Archives of Stem Cell Research (Editorial Board)
2014-Present Journal of New Science Biotechnology (Editorial Board)
2014-Present Molecular Biology Association (Moleküler Biyoloji Derneği)
2014-Present Society of Stem Cell and Cellular Therapies (Kök Hücre ve Hücresel Tedaviler Derneği)
2013-Present Turkish Journal of Biology (Editorial Board)
2012-Present American Heart Association (AHA) (Professional Member)
2008-2009 American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Kardiyoloji ve Hematolojide Rejeneratif Küçük Moleküller ve Kök Hücre Uygulamaları. 3rd Genetics and Biotechnology Meeting. Yeditepe University, İstanbul, Turkey. Feb 21st, 2015.
- Molecular Mechanisms of Mammalian Heart Regeneration. Pasteur Institute, Paris, France. August 4th, 2014.
- Regenerative Cardiology and Hematology: Empowering Stem Cells with Regenerative Small Molecules. Abdullah Gül University, Turkey. August 26th, 2014.
- Unlocking the Hidden Regeneration Potential of Mammalian Heart with Stem Cells, Cardiogenic Factors and Regenerative Small Molecules. Izmir Institute of Technology (Izmir Yüksek Teknoloji Enstitüsü). June 3rd, 2014.
- Hidden Regeneration Potential of Mammalian Heart, Bosphorous University (Bogaziçi Üniversitesi). May 30th, 2014.
- Unlocking the Hidden Regeneration Potential of Mammalian Heart with Stem Cells, Cardiogenic Factors and Regenerative Small Molecules. Yeditepe Üniversitesi. May 27th, 2014.
- Cardiogenic Small Molecules. NAU, Houston, Texas, ABD , Department of Computer Science. 02/19/2014. Houston, Texas, USA
- Glycolytic Stem Cells and Hidden Regeneration Potential of Mammalian Heart. Orta Doğu Teknik Üniversitesi, 09/10/2012. Ankara.
- Metabolic Profiling Identifies Glycolytic Cardiac Stem Cells: Towards iPS Cells and Induced Cardiomyocytes (iCMs). Tubitak MAM GMBE, 09/09/2012. Gebze, Kocaeli.
- Metabolik Profilleme ile Glykolitik Kalp Kök Hücrelerinin Eldesi ve Uyarılmış Pluripotent Kök Hücre ve Kardiyomiyosit Teknelojilerine Uygulaması. Çankırı Karatekin Universitesi, 09/06/2012. Çankırı
- Glycolytic Stem Cells and Hidden Regeneration Potential of Mammalian Heart. Istanbul Medipol University, 09/03/2012. Istanbul.
Business of Vaccine Development. Innovation in Therapeutics Manufacturing Workshop. National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and The Texas A&M National Center for Therapeutics Manufacturing. The Texas A&M National Center for Therapeutics Manufacturing and Oct 9, 2013. Houston Medical Center in Houston, Texas. Certificate
Basic hESCs and hiPSCs Biology Course at Stanford Center for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research and Education, May 2011. Director: Prof. Dr. Renee Reijo Pera. Stanford University. Certificate
Effective Teacher Series Grand Rounds at Dallas, Tx on September 1 2009-August 31, 2010. The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. Certificate
[Citations / Google Scholar]
"Don`t mind egos, focus on science"